The best defense against bacteria for your smile is consistent oral hygiene care. Whether at home or in our dental office in Encinitas, keeping your teeth clean is as easy as a few minutes of your time. Here’s what’s included during standard visits to Dr. Sherman:
Each time you visit us, we take x-ray scans of your jaw to assess the condition of your teeth. With x-ray scans we can see the underlying jawbone, connective nerves, and any internal damage to your teeth. These scans are vital in determining your path of treatment while you’re in-office. We use these scans in invasive surgical treatments and to coach you on best oral hygiene practices.
After the x-ray scans, our talented hygienists will clean and polish your smile. This includes brushing, deep flossing, and fluoride treatment if necessary. At the same time, our hygienists are on the lookout for warning signs of oncoming oral disease. This includes:
- Red, inflamed gums for gum disease.
- Cracks and pits that signify tooth decay.
- Strange lumps and lesions that suggest oral cancer.
If Dr. Diane W. Sherman or our team members catch signs of poor oral care, we’ll sit down with you about good home care habits to keep. Some oral hygiene recommendations may include:
- Electric toothbrushes vs manual toothbrushes.
- Periodontal brushes.
- Fluoride rinses or mouthwash.
- Flossing tools.
- Maintenance of oral devices, such as night guards or dentures.
Start Early With Your Children
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) states that a child should first see the dentist by age 1 or six months after having their first tooth. But most children don’t go to the dentist until age 2.
According to the AAPD, the sooner you start teaching your child about good oral health care, the greater impact it will have on their future oral health:
- Teaching them good nutritional choices.
- Better speech development.
- Better spacing for erupting permanent teeth.
- Helping them feel more comfortable about their smiles and dental routine.
When you’re ready to advance your oral care, give us a call at Diane W. Sherman, DMD. We’re committed to helping you achieve your dream smile, and that starts with maintaining basic oral hygiene cares. Let us know how we can help by giving our office a call.